Thursday 25 June 2020

Summer Stoma Fun

It you are anything like me, you are starting to plan your summer vacations again.  Yes, it is 2020 and we have all be stuck inside for months.  The country is finally starting to open up and the availability of supplies is coming back.  Most of us will admit we were a bit scared because our ostomy care gear was not stacked deep so to speak before this pandemic.  I was not prepared for shipping to take so long or be stopped altogether in some places. I was also not prepared with a  month or so of extra supplies on hand.  This was a bit of a scary time, but I was able to get to the local pharmacy which was considered essential where I live. But good times are here and ostomy care is now second on my list of things to think about and the beach is the first one. So I am planning a few trips and wanted to just go over them.

 

First thing to say is that yes if you have a stoma you should indeed be going on vacations and not shying away from beaches and fun places.  Unless your doctor has told you for a specific reason not to. I find that my life has not changed that much and I can do just about everything I Could before I had a stoma.  So this year my family is planning a few different trips.  The first one I am really excited about.

 

Since I am a little afraid of sharks I admit that I like to swim in water that they don't exist.  For this it is really easy to road trip over to Lake Michigan and enjoy the saltless water of the giant lake.  I have found that the waves can be similar to the ocean although usually nothing like high tide down in the Pacific.  I have experienced some crazy waves especially before a storm and we always go with jet skis and it is so incredibly fun!

  There is almost nothing like ramping a 5 foot wave going 40ish miles an hour.  The thrill I get from it is just breathtaking and well if you miss the next wave and land wrong the impact can also take your breath away!  This is all part of the fun and a little bit of danger to me makes it all worth it! So get to the beach this year or hit the mountains and just enjoy life outside and with others!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer Stoma Fun

It you are anything like me, you are starting to plan your summer vacations again.  Yes, it is 2020 and we have all be stuck inside for mont...